The Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) has stated that SumaGrow will be included on the OMRI Products List as a substance allowed (without restrictions) for use in organic production. OMRI said that “Subscribing certifiers, state programs, and others will receive information regarding the OMRI status of SumaGrow in the next quarterly update.” If you are a certified organic grower, contact our office and ask about SumaGrow.
SumaGrow’s listing can also be found on OMRI’s website (www.omri.org) and will be listed in the next annual publication of theOMRI Products List.
What is OMRI?
“Founded in 1997, the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) provides organic certifiers, growers, manufacturers, and suppliers an independent review of products intended for use in certified organic production, handling, and processing.” “When companies apply, OMRI reviews their products against the National Organic Standards. Acceptable products are OMRI Listed® and appear on the OMRI Products List.” (www.omri.org)
Being included on OMRI’s Product List indicates that SumaGrow complies with their policies and standards which are based on the requirements of the USDA National Organic Program Rule (7 CFR Part 205).
What does this mean for growers?
New markets with higher profit margins with less cost than crops grown with conventional organic soil supplements and/or chemical fertilizers.
Crops and vegetables with higher Brix levels that translates into tastier food and more nutrition.
A cleaner, healthier environment with the removal of soil contaminants that pollute our streams and drinking water.
Product that replaces soil microorganisms that suffered damage due to the over use of nitrates and salts, adds trace minerals, and maintains a healthy soil pH.
The ability to feed more people and/or cattle on less land because of the higher yield and nutritional values.
SumaGrow Products Promote Organic Agriculture
SumaGrow products use only naturally-occurring, non-pathogenic microbes isolated from select soils worldwide. These microbes are cultivated and grown in-house using natural growth media. SumaGrow does not contain any genetically modified organisms (GMO).
Many SumaGrow products are capable of receiving approval for use in the production of organic foods and fibers through the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) and other reviewing agencies. Being allowed or not depends on what carrier is used for the SumaGrow formulation. For example, several SumaGrow-branded products use liquid humates as a carrier. There are a variety of methods which can be used to extract humates, but not all of these methods are considered organic friendly.
SumaGrow products support organic agriculture.
- Organic crops treated with SumaGrow products have higher yields than those treated with organic fertilizers
- For crops treated with conventional fertilizer programs, SumaGrow products can reduce or eliminate the need for fertilizers and reduce the need for pesticides, herbicides, and/or fungicides which can run-off and damage entire ecosystems
- SumaGrow’s proprietary formula adds organic matter to the soil which reduces soil erosion and increases soil fertility.
- SumaGrow products naturally improve the health of the soil and promote healthier crops. Treated plants are less prone to disease and harmful pest infestation. Healthy plants develop denser, thicker root systems which enable them to better resist environmental stresses like droughts and severe winds.
- Animals raised organically are not fed antibiotics, growth hormones, or animal by-products. Pastureland treated with SumaGrow products is higher yielding and will have a greater number of grazing days. The pasture grass will be more nutrient dense. Livestock are healthier and have increased weight gain – naturally and humanely.
- SumaGrow products can raise the brix values in organically grown foods. Higher brix levels are highly correlated to higher nutrient levels, longer shelf lives, better ability to withstand frosts and fewer insect infestations. And more nutrient rich foods are more visually appealing, have a stronger aroma and taste better.